February 5, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V062000
Loss of power steering assist would require a higher steering effort, especially at lower speeds, which may increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V062
Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 14,113
Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2015-2016 Model X vehicles. The aluminum bolts that attach the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and fracture causing a reduction or complete loss of power steering assist.
Tesla will notify owners, and Tesla Service Centers will replace the steering gear mounting bolts with coated steel bolts, and add a corrosion-preventative sealer to the steering gear motor housing and motor connection bolts. If the mounting bolts are found to be broken or break during removal and cannot be removed, a new steering gear will also be installed. All services will be performed free of charge. Tesla has not yet provided a date for when owner notification letters will be mailed. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
As discussed today, below is the content of the customer email. The subject heading will be “Model X Safety Update.” We are projecting a release to US customers around 9 PM PST tomorrow night, Feb 5. We will make the recall filing on the Portal around 11:00 AM PST tomorrow. Also, the recall accounts for 14,193 US VINs total.
We are not aware of any injuries or collisions relating to the power steering component. However, we have observed excessive corrosion on the bolts that attach this component to the steering gear in affected Model X vehicles. This corrosion has been observed primarily in very cold climates that use calcium or magnesium road salts rather than sodium chloride (table salt). If the bolts fracture from corrosion, the driver may lose power steering assist. This would not prevent the driver from steering the vehicle, but it would require more force to turn the steering wheel, especially during low speed parking maneuvers when power steering assist is at its highest use. Power steering assist decreases with increasing speed, so the driver may not notice a need for more steering force at highway speeds.
Tesla will replace the bolts and apply a corrosion-preventative sealer in all affected Model X vehicles to account for the possibility that any vehicle may later be used in a cold, highly corrosive environment. The service will be free of charge. If any bolts are found broken on your vehicle or break during removal and cannot be removed, we will also replace your steering gear, again free of charge. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region. At this time, you do not need to take any action and you may continue to drive your Model X.
General Recall Reimbursement Plan
Pursuant to the requirements set forth in 49 C.F.R. Part 573 and Part 577 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”), is submitting required information pertaining to our general reimbursement plan for the cost of remedies paid for by vehicle owners before they are notified of a related safety recall.
Set forth below is Tesla’s general plan to reimburse owners and purchasers for costs incurred for remedies in advance of notification of potential safety-related defects or noncompliance pursuant to Part 573.6(c)(8)(i).
Tesla’s notice to a vehicle owner in accordance with 49 C.F.R. Part 577 will indicate whether Tesla is offering a refund. An owner will be eligible for reimbursement if the owner paid to have service to remedy the defect or noncompliance prior to a specified ending date. In accordance with Part 573.13(c)(2), the ending date shall be ten calendar days after the date on which Tesla mailed the last of its Part 577 notifications to owners in the United States, unless a specific reimbursement plan is made available for a particular recall. Owners are instructed to seek eligible reimbursement though a Tesla Service Center, by contacting us by phone at (877) 798-3752, or online at https://www.tesla.com/support/contact.
Tesla notes that in accordance with regulation, Tesla may identify a beginning date for reimbursement eligibility. Under the rule, an owner who paid to remedy the defect or noncompliance prior to the identified beginning date would not be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla generally has not established such a
beginning date for reimbursement eligibility and does not presently anticipate changing this general policy. However, in any case were Tesla determines that a beginning date is appropriate, Tesla will indicate that date in the specific reimbursement plan for that particular recall. As permitted by Part 577.11(e), Tesla may not include a reimbursement notification when all vehicles are well within the warranty period, subject to approval by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”).
Costs to be Reimbursed
For vehicles, reimbursement will not be less than the lesser of:
- The amount paid by the owner for the remedy that specifically addressed and was reasonably necessary to correct the defect or noncompliance that is the subject of the recall; or
- The costs of the part(s) for the remedy (to be no more than the manufacturer’s list retail price for authorized part(s), plus associated labor at local labor rates, miscellaneous fees (such as disposal of waste), and taxes.
For replacement equipment, reimbursement will be the amount paid by the owner for each replacement item (limited to the amount of the retail list price of each defective or noncompliant item that was replaced, plus taxes, where the brand or model purchased by the owner was different than the brand or model that was subject to the recall). If the item of motor vehicle equipment was repaired, the reimbursement provisions identified above for vehicles will apply.
Tesla notes that costs incurred by the owner within the period during which Tesla’s original or extended warranty would have provided for a free repair of the defect or noncompliance will not be eligible for reimbursement, as provided by Part 573.13.(d)(1).
Entity Authorized to Provide Reimbursement
Tesla will use Tesla Service Centers to reimburse owners, unless a specific reimbursement plan is made available for a particular recall, and will encourage owners to pursue requests for reimbursement directly through a Tesla Service Center to expedite reimbursement. The owner will be directed to submit the required documentation, upon which reimbursement eligibility will be determined.
The reimbursement determination will depend upon the information provided by the customer. Consistent with Part 573.13(d)(4), all of the following information must be submitted:
- Claimant’s name and address
- For motor vehicles, the vehicle identification number (or “VIN”), vehicle make, model, and model year
- For replacement equipment, a description of such equipment or, for tires, the model and size
- Identification of the recall number (either Tesla’s or NHTSA’s recall number)
- Identification of the owner of the recalled vehicle at the time that the pre-notification remedy was obtained
- An original receipt for the pre-notification remedy that includes a breakdown of the amount for parts, labor, other costs and taxes, including costs for the replacement item. Where the receipt covers work other than to address the recall or noncompliance, Tesla may require the claimant to separately identify costs that are eligible for reimbursement.
- If the remedy was obtained during the warranty period, documentation indicating that the warranty was not honored or that the warranty repair did not correct the problem related to the recall.
Failure to submit all of the above information may result in denial of the reimbursement request.
The Part 577 required owner notice will provide a toll-free telephone number through which specific information about the reimbursement plan can be requested from Tesla. This general reimbursement plan will be incorporated into notifications pursuant to Part 573.6 by reference. Information specific to a particular recall also may be incorporated into the Part 573.6 notification.
2 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Reimbursement Plan
Tesla Emailed letter
Defect Notice 573 Report
- 🚗ECU PROGRAMMING: This Diagnostic scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues. We welcome you to contact [email protected] or ask through Q/A for your specific need.
- 🚗SUPERIOR HARDWARE: The Maxicom MK908P is a upgraded version of the Maxisys Ms908P/Pro,it with Android4.4 based system amd super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc.
- 🚗COMPREHENSIVE FUNCTIONS: Autel MaxiCOM MK908P performs the same function as Autel Maxisys Elite, Autel MS908S PRO, MS908E, and provide better price. this superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain.12-month free updates，basic functions could still be used without updates.
- 🚗WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE: Extensive OE-Level vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes.It’s an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance. To check compatibility, contact [email protected] or ask through Q/A, we will reply you in time.
- 🚗Multi-ADD ONS:This Autel Scanner could connect the Oscilloscope-MaxiScope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras for vehicle’s electronic test or get the sight in the tight spaces. We offer you a free ArtiBattery101, making you easily get the Battery Test Results. This car battery Tester is recommended by Soctty Kilmer and BestReviews. It can directly detect the battery data and give suggestions on whether to replace the battery. It also has cranking test and charging system test.
- Advanced functions: Read/clear codes for all available systems ( including engine, transmission, ABS and AIRBAG ), Bi-directional control ability, Support auto bleed test, Forced DPF regeneration and adjusting injectors, Relearn parking brake pad after replacement (brake reprogramming), IMMO functions (key configuration)
- Superior features: Relearn/ reset throttle body positions, Reset Steering Angle Sensor (SAS, steering wheel calibration), Reset service mileage and service intervals, TPMS sensor relearn, Battery registration and reset, Reading automatic gearbox, Shows the vehicle's operation graphs, Adjust idle/ Relearn idle, Cycle the abs system to evacuate air, Bleed ABS pump/ ABS bleeding brake
- Cost-effective: The automotive diagnostic scanner supports basic TPMS Service (Tires Pressures Monitoring System), including displaying sensor IDs from vehicle's ECU, inputting TPMS sensor replacement IDs and registering sensors to vehicle
- Extensive vehicle coverage: More than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes after 1996. Smart AutoVIN technology for identifying vehicles easily
- Warranty & update: 12-month warranty and 12-month free online update. Automatic system and software updates with real-time push message notifications via Wi-Fi
- 【SUPERIOR CODING & PROGRAMMING】 Supports coding and programming especially for BMW and Mercedes. With the VCI of MK908P for SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2 protocols, it can replace the existing software and firmware in ECU without expensive original equipment.
- 【WIDE DIAGNOSTIC SOLUTIONS】 Well capable of VCM coding and programming, TPMS coding, intelligent cruise control (ICC), ECU coding, live data, dashboard matching, airbag system reset, anti-theft key matching and more.
- 【POWERFUL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL】 The oscilloscope MP408 combine with MaxiCOM MK908P is able to measure and test virtually all the electrical and electronic components and circuits in any modern vehicles, providing you an insight to the inner workings of a vehicle’s electronic circuits.
- 【HIGH-EFFICIENCY OF USE】 Being MS908P upgraded, it is Autel’s latest and most sophisticated diagnostic scanner which boasts the best hardware including Hexa-CPU, 2GB RAM etc. for fast boot-up and multitasking, and the ergonomic design to resist damage of heavy use.
- 【WARRANTY & UPDATE】 You can get quality related services within 12 months warranty, besides, 12 months free online update is available for the latest bug fixes and newly added parameters and car models.
- LARGE, BRIGHT DISPLAY: Rugged, 10.4 inch screen is the industry’s largest and brightest
- WIRELESS CAPABILITIES: Dual Wi-Fi architecture provides a secure, wireless VCI connection and reliable Internet connection. Move freely around the vehicle and shop with confidence
- WIRING DIAGRAMS INCLUDED: Includes full system wiring diagrams, not offered on any other scan tool in the market
- IDENTIFIX FREE TRIAL: 60-day Identifix Direct-Hit free trial
- J2534 COMPATIBLE: J2534 compatible device for emissions-related ECU reprogramming and reflash
- 🏆 Autel MK908P, as a high-end vehicle diagnostic tool developed from Autel, featuring the complete diagnostic functions including ECU programming for BMW and Benz etc., and the advanced configuration (Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen), is the ideal scanner for professional mechanics and auto repair stores to perform all-around fixes and comprehensive tests.
- 🏆 Autel MaxiTPMS TS401, AN AFFORDABLE TPMS DIAGNOSTIC TOOL TS401 is a new generation TPMS diagnostic & service tool which features unparalleled sensor coverage and incredibly easy-to-use interface. This ergonomic tool provides you easy and quick access to the faulty TPMS sensor to help you boost your bottom line.
- 🏆 ArtiBattery101 is a small-size battery tester that adopt the most advanced conductance test technology, and capable of the actual Cold Cranking Amps test, the health status test, and the quick detection of car starting and charging systems. It provides you with easy, quick, and accurate diagnoses in car battery to facilitate your repairs.
- ADVANCED ECU CODING & PROGRAMMING - Exceptional functionality diagnostic tool from comprehensive OBD2 scanner diagnostics & services to advanced ECU coding and programming. Just connect the scanner port directly to the OBDII DLC in your vehicle and no need any battery or charger
- COMPREHENSIVE DIAGNOSTIC FUNCTIONS - This obdii scanner can give a overall checking of the vehicles, diagnose on both Diesel and Gasoline vehicles, including Engine Transmission ABS SRS (Airbag) EPB Oil service reset SAS Steering Angle TPMS IMMO and Other diagnostic systems
- OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC - This vehicle code reader supports all 10 OBDII test modes, it can scan more than 95% domestic old vehicles for view live data (in text/graphic format), read freeze frame, read and clear history or current codes, O2 sensor test, I/M Readiness checking that can quickly test every system module status and faster diagnosis and maintenance
- EXTENSIVE COVERAGE & MULTI-LANGUAGE - Works on MOST 1996 US-Based, 1996 EU-Based and 1996 Asian-Based cars or newer OBD II/Eobd & CAN domestic or import vehicles, this automotive scanner supports English, Russian, Spanish, Polish,Dutch, Portuguese, German, French, Korean
- FX6000 OBD2 scanner is well built with a large and high-definition TFT screen, easy-to-read UI and thousands of DTC tips. The unique FN hot key allows custom your own Favorites on the main menu for the next car testing directly. TWO YEARS free update online to fix the latest bugs or add newer parameters
- Full system coverage for Domestic, Asian and European vehicles covering all makes/models
- Robust and versatile tool provides complete diagnostics including: Auto ID VINs, read all DTC types from all controllers, view data PIDS, perform bi-directional controls, calibrations, resets, relearns, and more
- On-tool and online repair information: confirmed fixes, maintenance procedures (brake/battery/TPMS/tune-up specs/other), component locations, key reprogramming, TSBs, etc.
- Ultra-crisp 7" high-resolution display for optimum viewing in all lighting conditions; 5MP camera on the rear of the tablet allows technician to take photos for sharing and inclusion in vehicle scan reports
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Firefox provide full browsing capabilities
- 【OE-LEVEL DIAGNOSIS ON ALL SYSTEMS】Autel MP808K features exceptional OE-Level diagnosis coverage for all car electronic systems that usually can only be found in professional scan tools that cost $1000 or more. The Autel MP808K car scanner, equipped with fast quad-core processor, 7-inch LCD touchscreen that displays at 1024x600 quality and obd adapters, offering maximum vehicle coverage, convenience and efficiency for your diagnostics, is advanced ver. of DS808, best alternative for MS906.
- 【23 SERVICE FUNCTIONS AND MORE】 MP808K diagnostic scanner comes with special service functions like Oil Reset, ABS brake bleed, Bi-Directional Control, SRS, EPB, SAS, DPF, TPMS Reset, Key Fob programming, Injector coding, Transmission Adaption, Throttle Adaptation and etc. NOTE: These useful service & special functions are NOT universally compatible. Please send VIN number to [email protected] to check compatibility.
- 【EXTENSIVE VEHICLE COVERAGE】 MP808K car diagnostic computer comes with extensive vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes. This automotive OBD2 scanner performs diagnosis on all OBDII-Compliant vehicles post 1996, supports all 10 modes of OBD2 tests, including read and clear codes, view freeze frame data, live data of multiple sensors in text or graph, readiness status to pass smog check, O2 monitor test, component test, module present, vehicle info and DTC Lookup.
- 【AUTO VIN & USER-FRIENDLY INTERFACE】 MP808K auto scanner comes with latest Auto VIN technology to identify vehicles at one single touch to scan vehicle ECUs, acquire vehicle info and run diagnostics on selected systems. The MP808K diagnostic tablet features Autel unique user-friendly interface for quick obd2 diagnosis, quick read and clear codes on various car systems and subsystems, software updates and etc.
- 【WE GOT YOUR BACK】 Autel MP808K automotive diagnostic scanner comes with 12 Months Free Software Updates and is backed by 30 Days REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND, 12 Months free from defects after-sales services & technical support by US-based seller Autel Direct and Autel HQ. If there are any questions or issues, please feel free to contact our 7/24 service team via [email protected]
- 【TPMS FUNCTIONS】 Autel MK808TS is specially designed to provide the complete TPMS service as MaxiTPMS TS608 including TPMS health check,relearn and programming Autel MX-Sensor 315MHz 433MHz , for helping technicians to quickly find out the faulty sensor and turn off the MILs related.
- 【SPECIAL SERVICES】 This full-system scan tool provides the most commonly-performed capabilities including Oil reset, EPB/SAS/BMS/DPF/IMMO service as MaxiCOM MK808 & MX808TS does, to meet users’ demand for efficient repairs.
- 【ALL SYSTEM DIAGNOSES】 Besides featuring the quick and precise full OBDII functions, this automotive diagnostic scanner can also work on all available system modules in vehicles for technicians to diagnose complex problems accurately.
- 【HIGH-END PERFORMANCE】 Featuring multilingual support, this car diagnostic scanner comes with Android-Based, Wireless BT VCI mini/Updatable WiFi, and Printing Capability via PC or printer etc., for the best-possible diagnosing work.
- 【RELIABLE WARRANTY】 Autel guarantees that this product will be free from all defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of the original purchase with free online software update through the Internet.
Last update on 2020-04-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-04-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API