January 9, 2018
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V031
Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 17,846
Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling all 2013 Model S vehicles equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
Tesla will notify owners, and Tesla Service Centers will replace the passenger frontal air bag modules, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in March 2018. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla’s number for this recall is SB-18-20-001.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
1 Affected Product
7 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall 573 Report – AMENDMENT 1
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2018-2
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2018-1
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4
1 Associated Investigation
Air Bag Inflator Rupture
NHTSA ID: EA15001
Dated opened: February 24, 2015
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI’s insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata’s initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata’s testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI’s investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- Weiman Products, LLC
- Health and Beauty
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, NOURISHES - Cleans leather surfaces while applying conditioner and nourishment
- PROTECTS SURFACE - A clear protective coating saves the material from usual wear and tear, as well as harmful UV rays that cause damage to the surface.
- VERSATILE - These household wipes can be used on any leather surface, including: Shoes, furniture, apparel, purses/bags, and car interiors.
- SAFE - This non-toxic, phosphate free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively.
- FRESH SCENT - Leave your surfaces clean and smelling light and fresh.
- 150 year-old formulation that is handmade in USA. ALL NATURAL blend of animal oils and beeswax. Has the consistency of soft butter and "melts" into the leather as it's applied.
- ALL-IN-ONE leather care product. Works as a leather conditioner, leather restorer, leather softener, and leather protector.
- No added chemicals, dyes, perfumes, petroleum, or adulterants. Safe and NON-TOXIC.
- Provides water resistance upon application.
- A little goes a long way and will protect for up to 6 months.
- Enjoy supple, beautiful leather - restores and protects leather from wear, weather, and sunlight / UV rays
- Gentle, pH-balanced and non-toxic - conditions deeply, leaving only a light shine and natural leather scent with no residues
- Multiple applications - For use on automotive interiors and seats, jackets, boots, handbags, couches, sofas, and more
- Safe and effective - works on treated, untreated, exotic, reptile, and bonded leathers (not made for suede or nubuck)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed - 90-day no-hassle returns from Leather Rescue in case you change your mind
- VERSATILE- Breathe new life into your tired old leather with one simple wipe. Car restoration, antiques, boots, shoes, purses, jackets, couches, and so much more!
- POWERFUL RESTORATION- Bring that retro jacket into the 21 Century! Care Touch wipes will restore luster and reinvigorate your leather, while protecting its soft and supple feel. Just one wipe will soften, strengthen, and moisturize your old and worn out leather!
- PROTECTS SURFACES- Care Touch Wipes applies a clear protective coating that will nourish your leather and protect it from harmful U.V. rays long after you've cleaned it.
- SAFE FOR FURNITURE - This non-toxic, phosphate-free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively, all while leaving behind a light and refreshing scent!
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, AND NOURISHES- Removes dirt, stains, grease, scuffs, and restores the natural sheen of leather. These wipes smell great, are easy to use, are non-greasy, and don't leave behind a residue. You won't have to go to an antique store to get the same level of professional leather cleaning.
- Bring Leather Back To Life, Prolongs the Life of Leather. Softens Stiff Leather, Safe to Use on Glove Soft Leather, Furniture, Jackets, Car Seats, Purses, Shoes, Tack, Saddles, Baseball Gloves, Vinyl, Boats, RVs, and More
- Dermatologist Tested- Does Not Irritate Skin. No Harsh Chemicals. Made of 100% Cosmetic Ingredients. No Greasy Residue, Reduces Scuffs and Scratches. Removes Winter Salt-Stains
- Two Products in One Bottle- Saves Time and Money. Safe to use on Exotic Leathers Such as Alligator and Ostrich
Last update on 2019-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API